Chittagong Medical College Hospital was established in the year 1957 and started functioning at Anderkhilla general Hospital,Chittagong.It started functioning in the present site in 1960 with only 120 beds and few outpatient services.Later it upgraded to 500 beds in 1969,750 in 1996 and 1010 in 2001.Administrative approval for 1313 beds in 2013 from MOHFW. At the beginning of the hospital,there are only two departments ,Surgery and Gynecology and Obstetrics.The General Hospital at that time used to serve as the department of Medicine and allied specialties till 1969.This has become now one of the largest hospital in the country and referral hospital(Tertiary level 3) in greater Chittagong. area.
The present six storied hospital building was completed in 1969 and renovated under ADB project in 1998 which now accommodates all the clinical departments and sub specialties.At present CMCH serve the area of nearly 50000 sq-km and provide health care services to a larger population of 40 million.
As years passed by, new treatment facilities kept being added and at present a Nuclear Medicine Centre for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes, a Coronary care unit, an endoscopy Unit, a kidney dialyzing unit, a Model Family Planning Centre, a Centre for Extended Program for Immunisation (EPI) are among the many facilities available to the in- and outpatients.
CMCH at a glance:
Name of the Facility Chittagong Medical College Hospital
Organization Code 10000756
Name of Director Brigadier General Md.Jalal Uddin
Land Phone No. 1 +88-031-630179
Land Phone No. 2 +88-031-619761 (24 Hours)
FAX No. 031-610022
GPS location of Facility Lati: 20.0000 And Long: 87.0000
TOTAL AUTHORIZED BED: 1313
TOTAL HOSPITAL IN-PATIENT CAPACITY: 1313
DAILY AVERAGE OUT–PATIENT TURN OVER : 2500
DAILY AVERAGE IN-PATIENT STAYING : 2600
TOTAL IN –PATIENT DEPARTMENTS : 41
TOTAL OUT–PATIENT DEPARTMENTS : 19
TOTAL DIAGNOSTIC DEPARTMENTS : 10
Capability of CMCH:
1. This hospital has the capability to admit 1313 patients with all indoor & outdoor facilities.
2. It can treat patients at tertiary level with all speciality & sub –speciality.
3. It can handle critically ill patients to be managed in Intensive Care Unit (ICU) & Coronary Care Unit (CCU).Paedietric ICU(PICU),SCANU(Special care Neonatal unit,HDU
4. It is a training institute and affiliated to Chittagong Medical College for undergraduate (MBBS, BDS) courses and 33 post- graduate courses & other courses such as Emergency Obstetric Care (EOC) etc
5.It has the ability to manage 100 casualties with 20 mixed casualties during or after any disaster.
6. It has the most modern investigation facilities such as Angiogram, CT & MRI etc.
7. It has a One-stop Crisis Centre (OCC) to deal with domestic violence against women, sexual assault and acid burn etc.
8.One Burn unit of 25 beds